Panel addresses ethics of Holocaust-denial ad

Holocaust-advertisement forum: Badger Herald Editor-in-Chief Jason Smathers answered questions about the paper?s decision to run a controversial advertisement at an open panel held in Bascom Hall.

Approximately 150 UW-Madison students and staff attended a panel Thursday held in response to an advertisement on the Badger Herald's website linking to a website denying the Holocaust.

Dean of Students Lori Berquam said the panel was an ""opportunity to meet and discuss the impact that journalism ethics have on campus.""

The advertisement, which was first placed Feb. 22 and is contracted to remain on the website until March 17, has sparked much controversy on campus.

Jason Smathers, The Badger Herald's Editor-in-Chief, said although the ad was placed without his knowledge, he still defends it.

""We have a very libertarian advertisement policy. I can't believe there are people on this campus that would see this advertisement and be swayed by it,"" he said. ""I am standing by what I did.""

Smathers said that under the Badger Herald's advertisement policy, they will not print an advertisement that incites violence or constitutes a threat. He said the staff needs to revise the Herald's policy to be more specific, but does not believe the advertisement threatened students.

Zack Zaban, a UW-Madison junior, said he feels UW's reputation as a credible university is threatened by the advertisement.

""I would say I feel threatened. First of all, I am Jewish. Second of all, I feel threatened as a student,"" he said. ""But it sheds a bad light on campus. It opens the doors to a bad identity and a bad reputation.""

Smathers said removing the advertisement would only encourage its sponsor, and that allowing the ad to be seen and ridiculed by students was the best way to delegitimize it.

Lew Friedland, a professor in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, said choosing not to run an advertisement does not violate the First Amendment or principles of free speech.

""The First Amendment does not require a newspaper to run an advertisement whatsoever. There is a difference established in law and tradition between First Amendment right and commercial speech,"" he said.

Howard Schweber, a political science professor, said he feels the advertisement should be removed immediately.

""You made a mistake—you did a bad thing—clean it up,"" he said.

Smathers said the Herald's Board of Directors and two committees are currently looking to revise their advertising and anonymous comments policy.