Duluth, Madison battle over Wilco fandom

What Mayor Dave Cieslewicz has termed ""the great Wilco debate"" is unfolding as Ald. Satya Rhodes-Conway, District 12, introduced a resolution to make members of the band Wilco honorary citizens of Madison.

Last week Wilco was named an honorary band of Duluth by Mayor Don Ness. This provoked Wilco frontman Jeff Tweedy to comment to a sold-out house at the Overture Center that the band had played in Madison many times and received no such recognition.

""Last night, the mayor of Duluth made us an honorary Duluth band, and we've only played there twice,"" Tweedy said, according to the Capitol Times. ""How many times have we played Madison? A lot. No key to the city, no certificate, nothing.""

Rhodes-Conway's resolution has prompted a retort by Ness. According to the Duluth News Tribune, Ness called Madison ""cute"" for attempting to keep up with Duluth and said Madison was welcome to ""steal [his] ideas anytime and put them to good use.""

The issue has apparently stirred up some controversy in Madison as to whether the band is in fact deserving of honorary citizenship and where an honorary citizen can live.

""My position is that honorary citizenship should be open to any musician except John Mayer,"" Cieslewicz said on his blog.

The resolution will likely be considered at Tuesday's Common Council meeting.