Decision delayed in expulsion meeting for lawmaker Wood

The decision on state Rep. Jeffrey Wood's, I-Chippewa Falls, potential expulsion from the state Assembly was delayed Wednesday after his primary critic failed to show up to the committee hearing.

State Rep. Steve Nass, R-Whitewater, sent in a written testimony stating, ""Mr. Wood's repeated dangerous conduct by driving impaired and being arrested three times in less than a year, and two previous convictions prior to his service in the Assembly, warrant his expulsion from the Wisconsin State Assembly.""

Both state Rep. Mary Hubler, D-Rice Lake, and state Rep. Tony Staskunas, D-West Allis, said they were disappointed with Nass's absence from the hearing. Hubler said she would schedule another hearing, which she hopes Nass will attend.

Wood told the committee that, though his actions in the past were dangerous and irresponsible, he is still fit to serve his constituency.

""Through counseling and some changes I have made … my mind is clearer than it has been in a decade, and I believe that I can represent my constituents well,"" Wood said.

Wood, who pledged not to run in 2010, followed his statement by apologizing for the disappointment he caused the members of his district. Nass said Wood should be expelled regardless of his decision to not seek re-election.

Wood said an expulsion nine months before the end of his term is not the answer.

""If I'm removed from office, whether it's by expulsion, resignation or recall, my constituents would likely have no representation until the end of the term,"" Wood said. ""They've spoken, and that's not what they want.""

Hubler said she has more questions for Nass and will wait to proceed with the expulsion process until he can be cross-examined.

Wood apologized for embarrassing his constituents but said he can ""set an example of how you overcome your obstacles instead of letting them defeat you.""