Committee proposes further changes to possible Gordon Commons construction

gordon commons: Under UW-Madison Facilities Planning and Management Director Gary Brown?s proposal for Gordon Commons, a wide terrace with outdoor seating would accommodate student leisure activities.

The Joint Southeast Campus Area Committee met Monday to discuss further redevelopment plans for Gordon Commons.

The project was originally proposed to the committee in January and would necessitate ground-up construction on the corner of Dayton and Lake Streets.

Minor changes were made to the project in the two months since the proposal's introduction.

According to Gary Brown, director of UW-Madison Facilities Planning and Management, the building would remain three stories and serve up to 1,000 students. After the new cafeteria is constructed, the old one would be demolished to create green space.

The biggest concern the committee faced in past meetings was the visual aesthetic of the walls facing both Dayton and Lake. At the meeting, Brown presented a new design to try to address the issue.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said he believes the proposed building's visuals have become more appealing for foot traffic since the revision. He said this is crucial for what he called a ""heavily traveled route.""

Committee members also discussed fueling changes to the Charter Street Heating Plant, which provides power to the UW-Madison campus by a back-pressure steam turbine generator, according to Facilities Planning and Management.

Committee members said they want the heating plant to be visually and academically attractive while reducing coal consumption and burning only natural gas and biomass.

Committee member Laura Gutknecht said the plant's design should be a substantial revision.

The Urban Design Commission will further discuss the Charter Street Heating Plant plan April 7.