Pharmacy school raises $22M in 6-year campaign

The UW-Madison School of Pharmacy recently announced it raised more than $22 million with its People and Programs Campaign, first launched in 2004.

In its sixth and final year, the campaign surpassed the school's goal of $18 million and generated 9,861 pledges and gifts.

The large number of individual donations is indicative of the commitment to support the faculty, staff and students in the School of Pharmacy, said Diane Stojanovich, director of communication at the school.

The campaign's funds have helped establish 34 student scholarship funds, 10 graduate student support funds and nine research-related funds, among others.

""Our donors and their most generous gifts have laid the groundwork for a very bright future,"" Jeanette Roberts, dean of the School of Pharmacy, said in a statement.

The campaign was created in hopes of reducing student debt and broadening access for students who could not otherwise afford college, recruiting and retaining exceptional faculty and advancing cutting-edge research.

""This campaign is unique because it's focused on building a base of permanent support,"" Stojanovich said. ""It was looked at as supporting the human infrastructure of the school.""

The campaign had the largest fundraising goal in the school's history. Although the campaign ended Dec. 31, 2009, there are ongoing initiatives from the UW Foundation on behalf of the School of Pharmacy.

The Great People Matching Scholarship Fund, a new Pharmacy Alumni Association campaign, has generated $140,000 and established three full-tuition ""dean's scholarships.""

Faculty-focused funds like the George Urdang Chair in the History of Pharmacy and the Pharmacy Forward Fund both provide resources to better recruit, retain and develop staff members.

The Pharmacy Global Health Fund is one of many that seeks to advance the school's global health initiatives.

""The promise for the future has never been greater, thanks in large part to the success of the People and Programs Campaign,"" Roberts said.