ASM picks new ALRC student advisor

Associated Students of Madison Chair Tyler Junger announced the appointment of Austin Buerosse as the nonvoting student technical advisor to the Alcohol License Review Committee Tuesday.

The position, formerly held by Mark Woulf, has been vacant since Woulf's appointment as a community voting member on the ALRC last fall.

Mayor Dave Cieslewicz appointed Woulf to the newly created citizen seat as a compromise from a proposal by Ald. Bryon Eagon, District 8, to add a permanent student voting seat to the ALRC.

According to an ASM statement, Buerosse received the unanimous support of the Legislative Affairs Committee, which conducted the screening process for the appointment.

Woulf also participated in the interview process.

""What I was looking for was somebody that was able to step in [and] understand their role as a representative ... and have their own ideas as to what the future of alcohol policy in the city of Madison should be,"" he said.

Buerosse said he was inspired to apply for the position after writing for the city news desk at The Badger Herald.

""I had been staying abreast of the entire saga with the tavern league and just the entire fight involved to get this position,"" he said. ""I guess I was sort of inspired by that to apply to see what I could do about that.""

Buerosse said he wants to focus on getting clear student representation on the committee.

""[That means] really being part of a substantive dialogue between city council leaders and students about what's really the best way to move forward with all these liquor licensing issues that really affect a lot of students,"" he said.

Cieslewicz must approve Buerosse's appointment before Buerosse can begin his duties on the ALRC.