Walker outlines platform on job growth, taxes

walker speech 1/26

Milwaukee County Executive Scott Walker spoke at the Capitol about economic issues just hours before Gov. Jim Doyle's State of the State address Tuesday.

Walker, considered a Republican frontrunner in the 2010 gubernatorial election, emphasized the importance of lowering taxes and bringing jobs back to Wisconsin.

According to Walker, the state lost 163,000 jobs last year and thousands more remained unemployed. Walker said he believes citizens are burdened by taxes and families are struggling.

""The people of Wisconsin have the privilege to live, work and raise families … In recent years, the state government has grown beyond the ability of the taxpayer to pay,"" he said.

Walker said he thinks Wisconsin has failed to attract businesses and previously stable businesses are facing losses. He said corporate hubs, including Harley Davidson and Kimberly-Clark, continue to struggle.

""It is time to change the way Madison thinks and the way government does business,"" he said. ""I will do everything in my power to change Wisconsin's business plan and to bring jobs back into Wisconsin.""

According to state Rep. Jon Richards, D-Milwaukee, Walker recently decided not to approve financial aid programs in Milwaukee with potential to stimulate job growth in small businesses.

""We need to give small businesses and [larger] businesses real and direct help to make that happen, and [Walker is] turning his back on that,"" Richards said.

State Rep. Tom Nelson, D-Kaukauna, said he disagreed with Walker's plans to give tax breaks to businesses. He said regulation on corporations should be strengthened and taxation on working families should be reduced.

""I think what County Executive Walker has proposed … is three steps backward on some important progressive changes that the Legislature has made this year,"" Nelson said.