UW pushes University Avenue vending plan

lee: Vending Oversight Committee member Rosemary Lee expressed concerns about the University Avenue vending area proposal.

Discussion was heated Wednesday night at the Vending Oversight Committee meeting as members debated a review draft for the proposed University Avenue vending area.

Madison Street Vending Coordinator Warren Hansen, who headed the project, said he has observed the area many times to measure where stands would be. Eight specific locations were discussed at the meeting, including a space between Park Street and Brooks Street in front of Grainger Hall.

Although most members of the committee seemed content with the project, committee member Rosemary Lee was not.

Lee said she had reservations because the proposal had been created at the suggestion of UW-Madison officials. She said the university has no right to tell vendors where they can and cannot operate.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, brought up the issue of exclusive use during the Mifflin Street Block Party.

The proposed vending area would include the 400 and 500 blocks of West Mifflin Street.

Verveer suggested the sponsors of the block party could have exclusive use of those spots to earn money to pay for event costs like security or insurance.

Another committee member, Tori Pettaway, said she liked the proposed plans and felt they would be a good compromise between locations preferred by vendors and where the university wanted to see vendors.

Pettaway went on to explain that she wants vending areas to be ""safe for students, faculty and those who are traveling the sidewalks.""

Another major issue brought up at the meeting was whether the Vending Oversight Committee should consider requiring background checks for street vendor applicants.

Lee argued that background checks would require the city to absorb the cost. She said this would put an ""unfair burden"" on those performing the background checks as well as the vendors.

The committee decided to drop the issue unless it becomes a major concern in the future.