Segredo: Finally, a place for 18-20 set

Segrego picture: Patrons enjoy Chef Ryan Dionne?s platos along Segredo?s four boutique bowling lanes.

Segredo: Finally, a place for 18-20 set

From the ashes of Madison Avenue rises an under-21 hot spot that even the police—or at least the Alcohol License and Review Committee—can get behind. In contrast to the troubled history that the defunct Madison Avenue left behind, Segredo is clean, elegant and tasteful.  Owner Michael Hierl said he has strived to create a venue that those above and below the drinking age can enjoy at night.

""We've programmed very specifically for the 18- to 20-year-olds to come out and have a good time, and we want to be that place,"" he said. 

Hierl has taken great pains to turn the once controversial estabishment into a safe, inviting place to frequent. Instead of descending into a dark sweaty dance pit, visitors find themselves in a cool blue neon glow.   The establishment has three separate socializing areas: a sports bar called Esportes, the quiet Segredo Lounge, and Boliche, Segredo's much-hyped bowling bar.  

Most of the dialogue about Segredo so far has focused on the boutique bowling and other unique pub games. However, Hierl insists that ""the soul of Segredo isn't the bowling, it's the food.""

True to from, the head chef and Hierl's business partner, Ryan Dionne, has created a delicious menu filled with specialty cocktails and ""mocktails,"" a wide selection of beer and Goose Island sodas and a vast array of ""platos"" which Hierl describes as ""delicious food in sizes bigger than tapas that you can share with your friends.""

Dionne's menu does not disappoint. The food is fantastically well prepared, the textures and flavors are spot on, and, according to Hierl,  they are trying to source as much of their food locally as possible.  The cocktails were stiff, but strong flavors masked the burn of alcohol, and their dry cousins the mocktails were just as tasty, perfect for designated drivers and younger patrons alike.

""The last thing we want to be seen as is some sort of exclusive place where you can't afford to come so we've worked really hard to ke,ep our prices very reasonable,"" Hierl said.

""This is not your basic bowling alley,"" Hierl added.

Segredo is a place to have fun.  The bowling, Wii, and other games offer entertaining diversions. 

""You'll hear a lot of hooting and hollering, but we're not going to be the place for cheap drink specials,"" Hierl said, ""If people want to get blitzed, then I suggest they find some place else.""

Segredo is a welcoming place with great entertainment. A few of Segredo's technical features were slightly annoying, but their effect on the overall experience was negligible. 

The bowling pins have strings attached to them, slightly skewing the game (to avoid paying for costly pinsetters),  and they don't offer tap beer. A waitress mentioned an accident to the tap lines occured during construction, but she said the problem was being addressed. 

Like all new establishments, Segredo has some kinks to work out, but their experienced staff, fun games and already impressive food and drink offerings will leave customers with a positive experience worth having again.