Restaurant and boutique bowling alley Segredo opens, replaces Madison Avenue

Segredo Bowling Alley: Segredo, a boutique bowling alley and restaurant owned by Michael Hierl, now occupies the space formerly occupied by Madison Avenue. It features a variety of food and beverages in addition to bowling lanes.

New entertainment options are now being offered to students downtown at Segredo, a combination restaurant, bar, bowling alley and gaming center.

The venue is located on University Avenue and takes the place of Madison Avenue, which closed because of underage drinking and safety concerns.

Segredo boasts that it is more than a bar and serves a variety of food and beverages. The menu includes unique items like shrimp tacos and highlights a selection of cocktails and ""mocktails,"" some of which are made with Babcock ice cream.

Segredo's owner, Michael Hierl, believes entertainment offerings will make Segredo a popular arena. Huge televisions air sports games and screen music videos during DJ performances. Patrons can play Nintendo Wii, Brazilian sports bar games or go boutique bowling.

Hierl said Segredo is one of the few establishments that offer boutique-bowling lanes in the country. Boutique bowling uses shorter lanes, but otherwise is like its full-sized counterpart.

""This is the first boutique bowling setting in a lounge. Buildings are usually three to four times the size [of ours],"" he said.

Segredo not only targets students, but also young professionals and families on weekends. Hierl said Segredo accommodates families and diners who may want to come earlier by opening their doors at four on weekdays and earlier on weekends.

According to Hierl, entertainment options and dining allow Segredo to have steady business from dinner to bar time.

""Instead of one late night turn, a big rush between midnight and bar time, we have three turns [during evenings] … games and entertainment will also attract more people than before,"" he said.

Heirl said Segredo aims to establish a respectful environment. The first house rule is ""be good or be gone.""

""You can't have fun and enjoy food, games and entertainment unless you are in a safe environment,"" Hierl said.

Hierl has already received offers for new venues in other areas of the country and would like to expand to other cities much like Madison.