New Planned Parenthood facility opens on South Park Street on anniversary of Roe v. Wade decision

Tammy Baldwin: U.S. Rep. Tammy Baldwin, D-Madison, speaks during the grand opening of the new Planned Parenthood facility.

On the 37th anniversary of the historic Roe v. Wade Supreme Court decision, Madison community members gathered to celebrate the grand opening of Planned Parenthood of Wisconsin's new health center located at 2222 S. Park St.

""The center opened on Dec.1, and we have been busy ever since,"" center manager Jessie Letarte said.

Located in the Villager Shopping Center, near the MTU South Transfer Point, the new center is a consolidation of the former West Mifflin Street and Madison South Planned Parenthood locations.

""We had been trying to move for the last 15 years,"" said Planned Parenthood of Wisconsin CEO Teri Huyck.

""The West Mifflin site was literally falling apart, and the Madison South site did not have a restroom,"" she said. ""Now with this new state of the art health center we have a great place to care for our patients.""

Each year, Planned Parenthood provides health care to over 10,000 people in the Dane County area, according to Letarte.

In addition to providing birth control methods, pregnancy testing, counseling, STD testing and treatment and midlife hormone replacement therapy, PPWI offers education on topics such as family planning and sexual health.

""In 2009, we provided education to nearly 4,000 members of the Dane County community,"" said Meghan Benson, Dane County Education Programs Manager for PPWI.

A $700,000 capital campaign for private donations made the move to the shopping center a reality.

The 4,400 square foot facility offers increased parking, a more central location and updated exam rooms. Signs are posted in English as well as Spanish.

The capital campaign was co-chaired by U.S.  Rep. Tammy Baldwin, D-Madison, who was present at the grand opening Saturday.

""With this new facility, Planned Parenthood of Wisconsin is improving the wonderful services it already provides for basic health care, family planning and community education,"" Baldwin said.

In addition to Planned Parenthood, the shopping center houses the Madison Urban League and the new Madison South Branch Public Library. The three organizations will work in partnership to benefit the community, according to Benson.

""We have already developed a wonderful partnership with the Urban League, and we are looking forward to building our relationship with the Madison Public Library once they move in downstairs,"" she said.