Governor hints at federal funding for high-speed rail line

Gov. Jim Doyle dropped another hint Wednesday morning about the possibility of a federally funded high-speed rail line that would go through the Madison area.

In his State of the State Address Tuesday night, Doyle mentioned the possibility of the rail line and said, ""With the Obama administration's support, Wisconsin is poised to be the nation's leader in high-speed rail manufacturing.""

Doyle gave a speech Wednesday at Energy Performance Specialists, located in McFarland, Wis., and again touched on the subject of the rail line.

Steve Schoenberger, sales manager at Energy Performance Specialists, said Doyle dodged questions about the rail line but indicated he hoped the Midwest would be one of the main beneficiaries of federal dollars for rail construction.

""[Doyle] felt that the city of Chicago was going to be a major hub for high-speed rail distribution,"" Schoenberger said. ""It would extend from Chicago to Milwaukee, from Milwaukee to Madison and then Madison to the Twin Cities.""

According to Schoenberger, Doyle said that until President Barack Obama announces which projects will receive funding, Wisconsin can only hope.

In his speech on the subject last April, Obama said he is particularly invested in a high-speed rail system for the Midwest and said the rail line is ""something close to my heart.""

""Building a new system of high-speed rail in America will be faster, cheaper and easier than building more freeways or adding to an already overburdened aviation system, and everybody stands to benefit,"" Obama said.