Brown's win may signal swing to GOP in 2010

The historically blue state of Massachusetts witnessed a shift in politics when Republican state Sen. Scott Brown beat his Democratic challenger in the Massachusetts Senate race Tuesday.

This shift, which comes exactly one year after President Barack Obama's inauguration and the Democrats' sweeping victory in both houses of Congress, has left Wisconsinites on both sides of the aisle wondering if this is the beginning of a Republican comeback.

Some Republicans say they welcome a possible shift of power, hailing the Brown victory as a sign of change to come.

""Scott Brown's victory is a clear sign that in the bluest of blue states, [Republicans] can win,"" Kristin Ruesch, communication director for the Republican Party of Wisconsin, said. ""We're coming for Russ Feingold and Wisconsin Congressional Democrats next.""

Jill Bader, communication director for Republican gubernatorial candidate and Milwaukee County Executive Scott Walker, also expressed confidence that Brown's victory signals a shift of power away from Democrats.

""Scott Brown and Scott Walker's messages are very similar,"" Bader said. ""It's that we, the people, can take back our government and make the government work for the people again.""

Although Democrats have lost their 60th Senate seat, some, like Chair Democratic Party of Wisconsin Mike Tate, say November will not yield similar results in Wisconsin.

""In many ways, this election will serve to embolden and redouble efforts of the Democratic Party in Wisconsin,"" Tate said in a conference call with the media.

The unexpected win in Massachusetts, a state that supported Democratic U.S. Sen. Ted Kennedy for 46 years, has members of the party wondering how easy their bids will be this election cycle.

This turnover, however, was not surprising to UW-Madison College Democrats Chair Molly Rivera.

""I don't think that Massachusetts is as liberal as people think,"" Rivera said. ""I think there are just as many Republicans, but [the seat] had been dominated by Ted Kennedy, who would be a very difficult candidate to beat."" Rivera said that this was just the normal cycle of politics.

Whether or not Brown's win in Massachusetts foreshadows a major shift come November, partisans on both sides of the aisle agree this victory will change Senate dynamics and possibly the outcome of the pending national health-care bill.