Black students still face issues under Obama

On January 20, 2009, Barack Obama became the first African-American president of the United States. His election was an historic first, and to many observers, marked a significant moment in American politics and society in regards to race.

A year later and on the cusp of Black History Month, however, some minority students on campus feel that race remains a potent challenge in everyday student life.

African Americans account for only 2.9 percent of the enrolled student body at UW-Madison, according to the University's web site.

""It can be overwhelming when I walk into a major lecture with over 400 students,"" Keith Jackson, an African-American senior majoring in engineering, said. ""No one else looks like me.""

According to Kendra Allen, president of the National Society of Black Engineers at UW-Madison, the College of Engineering struggles to retain the few African-American students it attracts, with attrition rates hovering around 50 percent.

""That is why the NSBE is such an important entity for this university,"" Allen said. ""It is our job, the administration's job and the students' job to work together on retention and make sure that we fill the demand we hear every day from the community for skilled engineers from under-represented backgrounds.""

In the effort to promote a cross-cultural awareness among its student body, UW-Madison requires that all students complete an ethnic studies course. According to the University web site, ethnic studies course material must ""illuminate the circumstances, conditions and experiences of racial and ethnic minorities.""

Some students feel the ethnic studies courses are not enough. Ashley Johnson, an African-American junior majoring in women's studies and Spanish, said that many students in her African American studies classes were there simply because they had to be.

""While it is usually a diverse group and I have had positive experiences, many students there were seniors just fulfilling the ‘e' requirement,"" she said.

Johnson's classroom life outside of ethnic studies courses has been challenging at times.

""As an African-American student on campus, more often than not, you are the only person of color in a class or discussion,"" she said. ""When an issue like affirmative action or race comes up, it can be very uncomfortable.""

Many African-American students at UW-Madison must look beyond the classroom to find comfort and foster community. Often, these bonds between students develop through common interests and activities.

Jackson said he finds a sense of community in pick-up basketball games, which he regularly plays at the Southeast Recreational Facility.

""It is easier for me to interact with my peers at the SERF than in the classroom,"" he said.

Student groups like the MultiCultural Student Coalition work actively to provide resources to minority students and promote a welcoming environment on UW-Madison's campus for students that might share Jackson's sentiments.

According to Lena Marx of the MultiCultural Student Coalition, the MCSC is hosting a play called ""King's Dream,"" to honor the late Martin Luther King Jr. on February 9. The MCSC is also presenting a series of dialogues on February 23 called OneLove.

As Black History Month approaches and Obama's term enters its second year, some students of color say certain struggles remain.

""Not enough has changed. There still remain hidden prejudices. The discussions are not authentic,"" said Jackson.