Honorable Mention - LCD Soundsystem

The past decade saw an overflow of tightly wound dance music and hilariously sharp lyricists, but no one in the past ten years was tighter or more incisive than James Murphy, aka LCD Soundsystem.

Murphy got started in 2002 with ""Losing My Edge,"" an 8-minute send-up of music nerd nut-flexing that might hold the record for most artists name-checked on a single track (around 60).

Simultaneously hip, dorky and improbably fun, ""Daft Punk is Playing At My House"" not only became one of the most popular party songs of the past several years, it actually helped rekindle late-decade enthusiasm for the French duo it references. ""Someone Great"" tacks in the opposite direction, a beautiful, melancholy track about a personal loss that is never specified. Ironically, one of LCD Soundsystem's least danceable moments might be its crowning achievement for the decade — ""All My Friends,"" a sad, funny and brilliant take on getting older.

One of the most common fears among fans is that their favorite band won't age well. Already 39 years old, Murphy has proven that his music actually gets better as he gets older. At this rate, he'll one day be the most relevant 60-year-old man in music.