Honorable Mention - Dan Auerbach - Keep it Hid

Dan Auerbach, singer and guitarist of The Black Keys, released his first solo effort this February, titled Keep It Hid.  The album is a nice blend of his signature garagey blues-rock guitar technique and several softer and lighter strummed melodies.

yes"">  Like his music with the Black Keys, Auerbach maintains traditional arrangements, oftentimes relying entirely on the diverse, though simplistic, drum-guitar combos evocative of the White Stripes. 

Album standouts include several tracks near the very bluesy back end of the album, particularly the fuzzy riffs of ""The Prowl"" and ""Street Walkin'.""  One of the most affectionately nostalgic songs comes in ""Whispered Words,"" as Auerbach contemplates a lost relationship, ""Every sign, every line / Tricked me into falling one more time"". 

Though Auerbach shines through as an extremely capable solo artist, the album fails to in any way transcend the genre of garage blues.

yes"">  Also, the consideration of the similar tonality throughout makes the album of fourteen tracks a bit excessive.

EN-US"">Overall, Keep It Hid

font-family:""Times New Roman"";mso-ansi-language:EN-US""> is an enjoyable rock 'n' roll album that satiates the increasingly vacant appetite for blues in today's music.  Sometimes, the prevailing sentiment of heartbreak is only appropriately paired with an emotive blues guitar, and Auerbach capitalizes on this.