City braces for delays after snowstorm affects buses

Snow removal: City officials extended the deadline for residents to clear sidewalks to 8 a.m. Friday. Mayor Dave Cieslewicz said to prepare for some delays in Madison Metro service on Thursday.

As 14 inches of snow blanketed the city Tuesday night and Wednesday morning, Mayor Dave Cieslewicz reminded the public that although the city will reopen Thursday, there will still likely be delays.

In his blog, Cieslewicz asked for Madison Metro riders to keep in mind that the bus service would probably experience some delays once back on their usual schedule Thursday morning.

The mayor also said streets would be slippery and the blowing and drifting snow could cause problems.

Early Wednesday afternoon, the city also extended the deadline for clearing sidewalks from 12 p.m. Thursday to 8 a.m. Friday.

""Even though the deadline has been extended, it is in your best interest to remove the snow as soon as possible before it is packed down by pedestrians,"" George Hank, the city's director of building inspection, said in a statement.

Cieslewicz also encouraged community members to assist neighbors who may not be able to clear the snow themselves.

""Many of the service agencies that assist the elderly with snow removal are swamped because of the volume of snow that has fallen,"" he said in a statement.

The Madison Senior Center, West Madison Senior Coalition, East Madison Senior Coalition and other agencies could all use extra volunteers. To contact them, call the following numbers:

• Madison Senior Center 266-6581

• East Madison/Monona Senior Coalition 233-3100

• West Madison Senior Coalition 238-7368