Veterans recognized by Cell Phones for Soldiers

AT&T showed support for soldiers across the nation Tuesday at the Wisconsin Veterans Museum along the Capitol Square.

AT&T is helping out the Cell Phones for Soldiers charity, an organization that uses its proceeds from recycled cell phones and accessories to buy calling cards for soldiers serving in the military overseas.

Jeff Bentoff, a spokesperson from AT&T Wisconsin, said people would be able to drop off their cell phones and accessories to be recycled and donated at all 21 AT&T-owned stores in Wisconsin.

State Sen. Mark Miller, D-Wis., who served in the Air National Guard for 30 years, was also in attendance.

Miller is also the author of a new law regarding the recycling of consumer electronic goods. He said this program would help the soldiers, as well as the environment.

Bill Kloster, deputy secretary of the Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs, said once a pay phone is installed at bases overseas, soldiers fill the machines with coins to call home.

Cindy Berge, whose son Andrew is now serving in Afghanistan, noted how much a phone call home means to both the people at home and the soldier.

Berge said that while her son is able to communicate through the computer, it is not always as readily available as a cell phone.