Student judiciary gives CWC second chance to appeal

The Associated Students of Madison Student Judiciary announced Wednesday that the Campus Women's Center was not granted an appropriate appeal after the Student Services Finance Committee denied their funding.

According to Chief Justice Trenell Darby, CWC's original complaint was that SSFC members were misinformed when making their original eligibility vote, claiming that this violated ASM bylaws.

Darby said SJ dismissed that count on the basis that no ASM laws were actually violated during the hearing.

CWC also claimed SSFC did not grant it a proper appeals process by not allowing SSFC members to make a motion to reconsider its vote.

According to Darby, SJ decided to allow CWC a second chance at an appeal hearing and will provide SSFC members the option to make a motion to reconsider their votes.

SSFC Chair Brandon Williams said, however, that this does not necessarily mean SSFC members will choose to make such a motion.

According to the ruling, the SJ decision does not give CWC a chance to reapply for eligibility.

""It should be noted that this shall not be an eligibility hearing, but an appeal hearing, where CWC shall raise any procedural violations SSFC has committed,"" it read.

Williams said although SJ did not reverse SSFC's original eligibility decision, he still felt SJ overstepped its bounds.

""I usually consider SJ to decide whether or not we made a reasonable assessment based on the rules that we have in front of us, but not necessarily create the rules themselves,"" he said.