Mayor backs Central Library renovations

Mayor Dave Cieslewicz and Public Library Board members called for renovations to the Madison Central Library Tuesday night.

The proposition is included in Madison's capital budget, which is awaiting approval by the Common Council.

According to Madison Public Library Board President Tripp Widder, building a new Central Library would cost $37 million, with $17 million coming from taxpayer-supported borrowing.

""This is an expensive undertaking, and through the hard work and advocacy of the mayor, the costs have been narrowed substantially,"" he said.

Cieslewicz said now is the time to act to ""reinvent"" the city because the library serves an important community base.

""It's about making meeting spaces where people will come together to share ideas,"" he said.

Cieslewicz said Madison is filled with intellectuals who wish to reinvent their public resources.

""The Central Library makes a statement about the value of education and learning in our community,"" he said.

According to Cieslewicz, renovations would benefit Madison's economy.

""This project and [the Edgewater Hotel project] will help create over 1,000 jobs in our community, and more after the facility opens,"" he said.

According to Widder, even as the project gains popularity there is still significant work to be done because over 25 percent of the cost comes from community and private fundraising.

""We will be counting on the community to come through and help us to complete this wonderful facility,"" he said.