Sunday, June 16, 2024

License fees for street vendors is increased

Street vendors will need to pay a little extra for their operating licenses because of a proposal approved by Madison's Common Council Tuesday night.

The proposal, sponsored by Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, increases street license fees for mall and concourse food vendors, merchant vendors and licenses, as well as other fees for arts and crafts vendors.

Not all alders, however, felt comfortable approving the item because of sympathies for small business owners.

Ald. Thuy Pham-Remmele, District 20, said she received phone calls from concerned vendors and reminded the committee that fees have been raised ""25 percent within the past six years.""

""I feel very uncomfortable approving this,"" she said in opposition. ""I want to bring your attention to the plight of small business people.""

The Council also discussed Mayor Dave Cieslewicz's submission of citizen committee appointments.

Pham-Remmele said she was concerned regarding the transparency of appointments, especially the long tenure of appointees and the representation of each district on the committees.

""Because these appointees make every decision in town … shouldn't they be scrutinized a little bit?"" she asked. ""Let's do it transparently, let's do it fairly.""

City Council President and Ald. Tim Bruer, District 14, said the council is very mindful of the composition of committees regarding leadership, expertise and balance.

""[There is a] certain level of review that goes on,"" Bruer said. ""I think this administration has been particularly sensitive to input and feedback … to encourage new blood on these committees.""

""I encourage all alders to encourage their constituents to apply,"" Cieslewicz said.