In 46 years since Kennedy assassination, presidential security efforts have evolved

obama: Security was tight for President Barack Obama?s education speech at Wright Middle School in Madison.

President Barack Obama's recent visit to Madison's Wright Middle School only weeks before the anniversary of former President John Kennedy's assassination on Nov. 22, 1963—46 years ago Sunday—provides a look at the evolution of presidential security.

Obama arrived at the Dane County Regional Airport at 12:22 p.m. and briefly met with a group of local government officials, including Gov. Jim Doyle and Mayor Dave Cieslewicz, before entering his presidential limousine, according to Joel DeSpain, public information officer for the Madison Police Department.

In anticipation of Obama's arrival, bomb-sniffing dogs searched all cars parked at the airport and snipers were positioned throughout the area, DeSpain said.

When Kennedy arrived at Love Field in Dallas, Texas, in 1963 before proceeding toward Dallas Business and Trade Mart for a luncheon speech, the airport was locked down much like the Dane County Airport.

However, unlike during Obama's visit to Madison, spectators from the general public were allowed to greet Kennedy upon his arrival, according to Philip Melanson in his book ""The Secret Service: The Hidden History of an Enigmatic Agency.""

The details of Kennedy's motorcade route were made public three days before his arrival by Dallas newspapers. By contrast, the details of Obama's route were never made public prior to his arrival.

The closure of Fish Hatchery Road at Carver Street was the only information made available to the public before Obama arrived, according to an MPD news release. DeSpain said MPD worked closely with the Secret Service days in advance to plan the route.

The Obama motorcade proceeded toward Wright Middle School with State Patrol vehicles at the front and back of the procession. Every cross street along the route was blocked by an MPD vehicle for a brief period as Obama passed.

In addition, portions of the West Beltline Highway were shut down and police officers were positioned in residential driveways along the route, DeSpain said. More than 100 MPD officers assisted along the motorcade route or were positioned at the school.

Much like the planning for Obama's visit, the Secret Service and the Dallas Police Department meticulously scouted the motorcade route before Kennedy's arrival in Dallas. Traffic was stopped at intersections, and police officers were placed on all overpasses.

Yet, according to Melanson, the planning team made a major mistake. They left a sharp turn in the route that slowed Kennedy's vehicle to a crawl at the assassination location.

Because Kennedy was riding in a convertible with the top down—compared to Obama's closed-in limousine—Secret Service expert Vince Palamara indicated that up to six motorcycles were supposed to flank Kennedy's vehicle. But only four nonflanking motorcycles were employed.

In preparation for Obama's arrival, DeSpain said MPD locked down Wright Middle School and the surrounding property once students were inside at 8:15 a.m. There was no unauthorized access to the school following the students' arrival until Obama left the premises.

Similarly, the Trade Mart in Dallas was checked and locked down while Kennedy was en route.

According to Melanson, because U.N. Ambassador Adlai Stevenson was harassed while visiting the city in October 1963, Dallas police employed rigorous security precautions to prevent any incidents.

However, Melanson said Secret Service agents and Dallas police failed to sweep certain buildings along the motorcade route, including the book depository authorities charge was used by Lee Harvey Oswald to assassinate Kennedy.