H1N1 vaccines distributed to target populations

Over one million doses of the H1N1 flu vaccine have been allocated to Wisconsin, according to the latest report from the Wisconsin Department of Health Services.

As of Nov. 20, nearly 41,000 daily doses were distributed to Wisconsin from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Although Wisconsin has received over one million doses, according to a statement from the DHS there are not enough vaccines to distribute to the general public on a statewide basis.

Last week, University Health Services said the H1N1 vaccine is available to students who have high-risk medical conditions such as asthma or other chronic lung diseases, diabetes or cancer. Pregnant women and caretakers of infants are also eligible to receive the vaccine.

UHS said students will be informed when the H1N1 vaccine is available for students on a campuswide basis.

The DHS is currently surveying health-care providers to ""assess if the target groups have been reached,"" according to a statement. The results from the survey are expected to aid in the assessment of when vaccines will be available for Wisconsin residents who are not in the designated target groups.