Edgewater renovation discussed

The Madison Landmarks Commission and the Urban Design Commission discussed the Edgewater Hotel renovation Wednesday night during a joint meeting held at the Madison Senior Center.

Renovations would transform the two existing structures, which were built in 1940 and 1970. The current plans increase the capacity of the buildings and offer a landscaped public walkway between them, with steps cascading down to Lake Mendota.

Mark Sardegna of Elkus Manfredi Architects said the property should balance historic and cultural elements of the building in order to integrate it into Madison's architectural landscape.

""It belongs to the whole city as well as the immediate neighborhood,"" he said.

Amy Supple, Hammes Company development director, said the terrace, which would stretch between the buildings, should keep historic details from the original design.

""[The terrace is a] destination for the community to enjoy the historic district as well as the waterfront,"" she said.

Supple said the property is a Planned Unit Development, which, for the Edgewater, means it is a space that must remain open to the public under these guidelines.

The population surrounding the Edgewater is diverse, and community members were present to offer comments about the redevelopment.

Community member John Martin said there is still a lot of information that needs to be released through details and renderings of the new designs.

He said he believes the renovation plans do not take into account the characteristics of the property or surrounding properties, and the scale should not be increased.

""[The proposed plan] violates the intent of the landmark ... it just needs to get closer to that feeling of less mass,"" he said.

According to Brad Murphy, planning unit director of the Department of Planning and Development, setback distance from Lake Mendota and following waterfront standards need to be addressed during subsequent meetings.

He said modifications and alterations need to be approved by both committees before the plan reaches the Common Council.