City Downtown Plan Commission debates transportation, housing

city plan commission: Members of the City Plan Commission stressed affordable student housing at its meeting Monday.

Members of the city planning department met with the City Plan Commission Monday to discuss an overview of the current downtown plan.

The meeting served as a discussion workshop to address concerns and questions the commission might have about the project.

According to Bill Fruhling, principal city planner, the meeting sought recommendations and other feedback from the commission before its next meeting in January, which will be open to the public.

Planning department member Rebecca Cnare said the department wants to ""address conflict or major issues"" with the commission before making any detailed plans.

Transportation issues were the main topics covered Monday. Both groups agreed easier movement throughout downtown is a top priority.

""I hope we can agree connectivity [of downtown] is a main goal,"" plan commission member Tim Gruber said.

Commission members said it is necessary to look into changing one-way streets such as Johnson and Gorham into two-way streets.

Housing is also a major issue concerning the downtown plan. Commission member Michael Basford said housing affordability is important for students.

""We need to provide and increase the quantity of good quality housing for students,"" Ald. Julia Kerr, District 13, said.

A significant part of the current downtown plan addresses the arts and culture of the area.

Planning department member Archie Nicolette said the downtown area provides the ""strongest sense of place"" for Madison. ""It is where we put our stamp of personality,"" he said.

The plan to increase the arts and culture sector will focus on the area from Williamson Street to the UW campus. Nicolette said this will create a ""stronger spine for the city.""

Members also said more green space for the city is a key aspect of the plan. Ald. Lauren Cnare, District 3, said the city needs ""more places to play and be entertained with our natural features.""