Urban Design Commission reviews new ice rink designs

Designs for a new ice rink serving UW-Madison athletics and church apartments near the Holy Redeemer Church were presented to the city's Urban Design Commission on Wednesday.

The proposed ice rink would be located between the Southeast Recreational Facility and the Kohl Center.

According to Gary Brown, director of planning and landscape architecture at UW-Madison, the new building would support both men's and women's hockey. He said there is a need for an on-campus facility for men's hockey because they currently practice at the Alliant Energy center.

Brown said the new rink would be used for women's hockey competitions as well.

""[The facility would serve as] a competition space for women because they don't draw 12,000 to 15,000 fans in the Kohl Center, and [the proposed space] is more intimate.""

Project architect Lou Stippich said the plans include women's hockey offices, locker rooms for both the women's hockey and swim teams, and an overpass bridge between the new facility and the SERF.

Alan Fish, associate vice chancellor of UW-Madison's Facilities Planning and Management division, said parking could not be cut to allow a larger walking path because individuals use these spaces on game days.

""We cannot compromise handicap accessibility,"" he said.

The commission also heard a proposal for an apartment building behind Holy Redeemer Church, on Gorham Street.

Randy Bruce, managing member of Knothe & Bruce Architects, LLC, said the building would be affordable workforce housing and not intended for full-time students.

""The church really wants to provide to its parishioners,"" he said.

Bruce has had meetings with the parish and believes the new building would fit in nicely with its historic surroundings.

""I feel like it was part of the original campus plan,"" he said.

The building is pending confirmation from the City of Madison Landmarks Commission.