Premiere Madison tasting event a sweet success

It was easy to be swept up in the elated atmosphere upon entering the Alliant Energy Center this past weekend, as the 8th annual Madison Food & Wine Show was in full swing. Featuring over 150 exhibitors including wineries, cheese makers and local restaurants and bakeries, this event is Madison's gourmet tasting event of the year attended by over 6,000 people.

This year was no different—the exhibition hall was packed on Saturday with food and wine enthusiasts. Greeted by volunteers upon entering the door, attendees received a free tote filled with various swag and, more importantly, a free wine glass from Wollersheim Winery.

The lines of hungry and thirsty people twisted throughout the exhibition hall, eagerly awaiting their next mouth-watering sample, but several exhibitors seemed to draw even larger crowds than the rest.

Year after year, Johnny's Italian Steakhouse is barely able to keep up with the throngs who eagerly await their steak and crab cakes. Though they continue to be some of the most upscale choices at this event, the quality isn't always consistent. It's best to feel this restaurant out during a full dining experience.

The Madison Sheraton Hotel stepped up its game this year, featuring a remarkable spread of cheeses, entrée samples and desserts (no entrées on Sunday). The slow-cooked spare ribs with green chilé mashed potatoes was pure comfort food. The ribs were tender and savory, and the mashed potatoes delivered a slow heat that hit at the end.

A newcomer to the show was Daisy Café and Cupcakery, which offered two mouth-watering varieties of cupcakes that were sure to appease any sweet tooth. The vanilla cupcake with raspberry frosting was just sweet enough, the frosting smooth and a little tart. The chocolate cupcake with mocha frosting was decadent without being too rich.

It's no surprise that Wisconsin is known in part for its artisan cheeses, and the Madison Food & Wine Show showcased the best of the best. Carr Valley Cheese delivers consistent quality year after year, sampling some of its best cheeses, including their Creama Kasa, aged cheddars and Cardona. If their booth didn't have enough for you, some of the other exhibitors from resorts and shops, such as the Sheraton, were featuring Carr Valley as well.

Fromagination was much more prepared this year, with several offerings from their shop, including Green Fields, a semi-firm cheese made in Cleveland from whole, raw cows' milk. BelGioioso had an impressive spread as usual, featuring a variety of ways to serve their cheese, including a mozzerella, basil and prosciutto roll.

Sugar Brook Farms displayed a variety of cheese spreads, but the highlight was the tray of gourmet stuffed peppadews from their Kelly's Kitchen division. Stuffed with a creamy, tangy blue cheese spread, these sweet peppers exploded with flavor.

This three-day extravaganza would have only been half the fun without the tremendous selection of wine and spirits. The selections Michael-David Winery were full-bodied and taste bud popping. Wollersheim Winery featured its crowd pleasers—Prairie Fumé, White Riesling and Sangiovese, to name a few. Attendees received a notebook and pencil upon entering the event to take notes on their favorite wines. They were then able to place orders at the on-site wine cellar to take some bottles home for themselves or as gifts.

For those who weren't into fermented grapes or needed something to wash the red wine film from their teeth, several exhibitors came to the rescue. Capital Brewery and Stella Artois provided beer, while spirits could be found at the Great Lakes Distiller and Travis Hasse's Original Pie Liquors, which drew in crowds with their apple pie shot fountain.

Non-alcoholic options included Sassy Cow Creamery, a local dairy farm with smooth, velvety chocolate milk and equally appetizing ice cream, among other flavors. And the day was topped off properly with an Italian soda or coffee from Cameron's Coffee.

And when the crowd sought a break from drinking and dining, or simply wanted to sit and relax while they enjoyed a platter full of cheese, the Madison Food & Wine Show did not disappoint. MATC's culinary arts program provided an opportunity to decorate a personal-sized cake with fondant cutouts and edible-ink pens. The demonstration kitchen featured a dueling chef competition, featuring some of the area's most amazing chefs in a cooking battle a la Iron Chef. Duels occurred every several hours in a stadium-like atmosphere.

The next Madison Food & Wine Show may be 12 months away, but you can visit many of these local restaurants and shops to feast on their wares. You can also purchase most of the wines and beers offered at the show at liquor stores like Fuzzy's Liquor, Steve's Wine, Beer & Spirits or Woodman's.