Election commissioner to review Wis. voting procedures

The Chair of the U.S. Election Assistance Commission will meet with the Wisconsin Election Administration Council Monday, just days after the Joint Finance Committee approved a new plan to alter early voting policies.

Commissioner Gineen Beach will discuss the impact of the Help America Vote Act, legislation that aims to help state improve election operations.

According to a statement from the Government Accountability Board, Wisconsin has received $50 million in funding from HAVA since 2004. The GAB recently submitted the 2009-2014 election administration plan, hoping for additional $3.9 million in additional HAVA funds.

The election administration plan would change the date of primary elections, implement early voting and streamline the absentee ballot process. A controversial motion to require voters to present photo identification failed along party lines at the JFC meeting last week.

Kevin Kennedy, director and general counsel of the GAB, said the GAB previously received a $2 million, competitively awarded grant from the US-EAC last year to help fund improvements on election data collection.

Nathaniel Robinson, GAB elections division administrator, said the GAB has an excellent relationship with the US-EAC.

""We have a strong partnership with US-EAC, and HAVA funding has had a significant impact on Wisconsin's election process,"" he said in a statement.

Since 2004, nearly 83 percent of the GAB's spending has come from HAVA funds.

In addition to meeting with state legislators, Beach will meet with Gov. Jim Doyle and members of the public Monday to discuss election issues.