CWC makes its case to Student Judiciary

campus women's center appeal: Members of the Campus Women?s Center appealed to the Student Judiciary Wednesday after being denied funding by the Student Services Finance Committee.

CWC makes its case to Student Judiciary

The Campus Women's Center presented its case regarding the Associated Students of Madison Student Services Finance Committee's decision to deny their funding eligibility to ASM's Student Judiciary panel in a general appeal hearing Wednesday.

Earlier this year, the SSFC denied the CWC eligibility for general student services funding. After their denial, the CWC appealed to the SSFC but were denied again.

The CWC is now exercising its right to take the case to the Student Judiciary.

SSFC and CWC members debated the SSFC's ability to provide an adequate avenue of appeal in accordance with ASM bylaws.

During the hearing CWC representative Cale Plamann said SSFC's appeal process falls short and could have been more extensive and fair.

""It's a hollow and meaningless appeals process,"" he said.

ASM Secretary Kurt Gosselin said he defended the SSFC's appeal process, saying the process was in accordance with ""SSFC standing rules and ASM bylaws.""

CWC members said they were not adequately consulted for clarification during their initial application process, while SSFC members said they provided hearings, lobby meetings and open forums as opportunities for the CWC to clarify application materials.

CWC members also said the  SSFC members used their personal opinions when making decisions.

SSFC Chair Brandon Williams said if the SSFC is ""not allowed to use discretion, there should be no committee.""

CWC members said certain SSFC members were ""confused"" while making eligibility decisions. CWC members said some SSFC members made decisions based on incorrect statements made by other committee members.

According to CWC members, this element of confusion is what led to their denial of eligibility funding.

Chief Justice Trenell Darby then asked how the element of confusion played into the decision-making process.

""Is confusion a reason for an [SSFC] member to vote against or abstain?"" he said.

In their closing statements, SSFC members said they urge the panel to follow ASM bylaws when making its final decision, rather than opinions.

The Student Judiciary's decision on the case is due by Nov. 4.