Claire gets hyped up for midterms with caffeine and cookies

Well, Badgers, we've made it to midterms already. Can you believe it? I can't either. I also can't believe that as of tomorrow we're halfway done with this semester. So, with midterms either upon you or right around the corner (I've only had one so far), you're bound to get the munchies. To get you through midterms, as well as finals, I've asked a few stressed-out friends about their choice munchies during these turbulent times.

First, the overwhelming majority of my friends said they reach for the phone when midterms hit. Why cook when someone can do it for you? It would make sense that they do this so they can use that time studying, but my guess is they're making up for not studying the last few days, or weeks. The precious hours before a test can either make or break it, so why waste it boiling water?

The most popular delivery foods seem to be Chinese, subs and pizza—and you all know this campus has no shortage of those. Whether you like Topperstix over Pokey Stix, or Asian Kitchen over A8 China, you can get whatever you want delivered to your door.

Another popular midterm snack isn't something you munch on, but you drink. If you're up way past your bedtime and just have to finish that last problem or essay question, caffeine can be your friend. I know caffeine and I have become quite close while curled up by the fire, studying for essay tests. Although coffee may well be the most common form to ingest caffeine, I would suggest tea, or even chocolate-covered espresso beans. Be careful with the beans, though. Any more than three or four will send you into hyperdrive.

Finally, if you're too poor to call delivery every night, or you're just too lazy to even think that far ahead, you can munch on almost anything you already have in your kitchen. My personal favorites are boxes of crackers or cookies. I have another warning for these: smaller boxes are better in the long run if you're just going to sit there and eat an entire box without realizing it. These include cheez-its, granola bars, Keebler cookies, mini chocolate donuts and really anything in the cookie aisle at Walgreens.

Remember, Badgers, most of us have been through this season before. Can't we take our previous knowledge and put it to a good use? Midterms can't hold a candle to finals season, so why not start planning now? Personally, these past seven weeks have gone by way too fast for my liking. You can save money AND stay somewhat healthy by filling up your cupboards now. Stock up on dried fruit and healthy crackers. Make some three-bean chili and freeze it for December. With a little forethought, stress from midterms and finals will be a thing of the past—at least as far as your stomach's concerned.

Out of licorice and sunflower seeds? E-mail Claire at crwiese@wisc.edu and plan a snack run.