Sunday, June 16, 2024
Citizens, parishioners consider development

church: A full parking lot at Holy Redeemer Catholic Church may be developed into a five-story apartment building. Community members met at the church Wednesday to learn about and discuss the project.

Community members and parishioners gathered at Holy Redeemer Catholic Church Monday evening to learn and provide feedback about a proposal to redevelop the church parking lot.

The project, brought forward by Silverstone Partners, Inc. in conjunction with Knothe & Bruce Architects, is designed to be moderate income workforce housing and would replace 43 surface parking stalls.

The developers hope to finance the project with the use of tax credits.  This would require that 41 of the 46 units be rented to those that qualify, with the remaining units potentially being rented to students.

""Because [the building] is in the Mansion Hill historic district, we have to meet certain criteria,"" said Randy Bruce, an architect on the project.

Tom Sather, a member of the development team, explained that Silverstone Partners, Inc. will lease the land from the church for 30 years, while making $80,000 lease payments per year.

Silverstone Partners, Inc. plans to donate the property back to the church once the mortgage is paid off.

""[The church] could then use [the building] as it sees fit,"" Sather said.  ""This is the most sensitive and appropriate project possible.""

Parishioners present at the meeting expressed great concern regarding the proposal, arguing that there are many ""nice, affordable housing units not far from [the church]"" and questioning whether the project is the most effective use of the space.

A parishioner argued, ""We would like to provide affordable housing, but this is not the place to do it.""

The project, if it moves forward, expects to break ground in fall of 2010 and complete construction in fall 2011.

The development team will present their plan to the Urban Design Commission Wednesday for informational purposes.