Sunday, June 16, 2024
Ray Cross biennial budget

UW System President Raymond Cross presents the biennial budget plan, which focuses on fostering state-wide talent and improving the overall economy.

Bill would require mental health parity

State Sen. Dave Hansen, D-Green Bay, and State Rep. Sandy Pasch, D-Whitefish Bay, introduced the Wisconsin Mental Health and Substance Abuse Parity Act to lawmakers Wednesday.

The bill would require all group health plans to provide mental health care and substance abuse disorder coverage at the same level as medical and surgical coverage.

The bill would extend the federal Wellstone-Domenici Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act, which took effect Saturday.

The federal law applies to group health plans offered by employers with 51 or more employees and requires mental health and substance abuse parity.

""We're trying to mirror exactly what [the Wellstone-Domenici Act] did ... [but] fill the gap for small businesses with 50 or less employees who offer health insurance,"" Hansen said.

According to Hansen, some are apprehensive about the cost involved. However, he said the bill would provide governmental savings in the long run.

""I've been a true believer from the beginning that if you have early intervention you prevent major and bigger problems from happening,"" he said. ""And it's a lot less expensive fixing a problem before it becomes a huge problem.""

According to the National Institute of Mental Health, one in four adults suffers from a diagnosable mental disorder in a given year.

""Mental illnesses are the most stigmatized, underfunded and undertreated illnesses, and I believe this legislation will effectively address this problem in the state,"" Pasch said in a statement.

Hansen said he is optimistic the bill will be well-received, especially given that Democrats hold a majority in both houses of the state Legislature. Pasch said he believes the bill will pass in 2010.