Badgers kick off final home games against rival Marquette

soccer: Stephanie Moebius/cardinal file photo

The Wisconsin men's soccer team will return to the McClimon Complex Wednesday to start its last homestand of 2009 against Marquette. Coming off a 2-1 victory over No. 16 Northwestern, the Badgers will look to ride the momentum from their penalty-kick victory into the matchup.

Senior midfielder Eric Conklin's game-winning penalty-kick goal in the 95th minute against the Wildcats put an end to the Badgers' three-game losing streak and Northwestern's 10-game winning streak. The victory was also Wisconsin's first over a ranked opponent since 2008.

Now the Badgers (4-6-2) will turn their focus to the non-conference Golden Eagles (3-7-3), who are also coming off a big win over a ranked opponent.

Wisconsin last faced Marquette in 2008, defeating the Golden Eagles 1-0 on a goal from senior forward Scott Lorenz. They will look for Lorenz and senior forward Brandon Miller, who lead the team in scoring, to continue their strong play despite the team's offensive issues this year.

Wednesday's game marks the start of a three-game homestand in which the Badgers will also face Ohio State Oct. 25 and Northern Illinois Oct. 28. After those games Wisconsin returns to the road for contests against Penn State and UW-Milwaukee.