Sunday, June 16, 2024
ASM committee discusses ALRC student member, Downtown Plan

legislative affairs: ASM Legislative Affairs Committee member Josh Molter expresses his opinion on the possible redevelopment of the Mifflin Street area. The committee discussed the downtown development plan Tuesday.

Members of ASM's Legislative Affairs Committee met Tuesday night to discuss plans for Madison's downtown area and the recent debate over whether the Alcohol License Review Committee should have a student voting member.

Adam Johnson, the committee chair, said the Student Council will vote on a resolution tomorrow night to determine whether they will publicly support a proposal by Ald. Bryon Eagon, District 8. Eagon's proposal would require one of two new voting members on the ALRC to be a student.

""I think [the resolution] will pass pretty easily,"" he said.

Johnson also told committee members that Eagon is attempting to organize students to attend the Common Council meeting Nov. 3 to demonstrate student support for his proposal.

""Critics say that students don't care,"" Johnson said.  ""If many students show up, they'll take notice.""

Johnson also updated committee members on plans for the downtown Madison area that he discussed with Bill Fruhling, Madison's primary planner.

""The entire downtown area is a student area,"" Johnson said.  ""[These proposals] aim to make downtown more accessible to more people.""

Although the plan is still in draft form, possible items include a lakeshore path that would connect Memorial Union to James Madison Park, as well as a boardwalk.

Committee members also discussed a possible expansion of East Campus Mall from Library Mall to Lake Monona and the possibility of a light-rail transit point being built behind the Kohl Center.

The light rail would theoretically run from east to west and connect to the new Amtrak station with very limited stops.

Plan proposals for redevelopment of the Mifflin Street area sparked significant discussion among committee members.

""We should have a position of conservation and preservation,"" committee member Josh Molter said.

Johnson said the committee needs to advocate for students, even if that means potentially opposing construction.

""We're not interested in the well-being of the city, we're interested in the well-being of the students,"" he said.

Although Johnson said Fruhling does want to develop the area to combat its perceived drinking culture, he is looking for input. The construction of a large apartment building is being considered.

However, Johnson said both he and Fruhling agreed ""the neighborhood has character, that character has value in and of itself and that shouldn't be pushed out of the way just because we want new buildings.""