Alcohol License Density Plan called into question

The Alcohol License Density Plan could see several changes, or a possible repeal in the near future, according to a sub-committee of the Alcohol License Review Committee that met Thursday.

The ALDP was enacted in October 2007 to reduce the number and capacity of alcohol licenses being distributed throughout the downtown and campus area. Reducing alcohol-related crimes was also a goal of the plan.

However, according to the annual preliminary review of the ALDP, the number of liquor law violations increased the year after it was enacted. Many present at the meeting said they felt the plan is too restrictive.

Hawk Schenkel, owner of Hawk's Bar and Grill on State Street, said police enforcement is the key to well-run establishments and fewer alcohol-related crimes, not limiting licenses.

The plan was enacted on a sunset provision, which requires its reevaluation after a certain period of time. The plan is currently set to expire a year from now, Alcohol Policy Coordinator Katherine Plominski said.

""We're trying to attract more people downtown,"" Schenkel said. ""I'm philosophically against it … you can't keep on kicking away places and expect people to live down here and shop down here—it's just not going to happen.""

Mary Carbine, executive director of Madison's central business improvement district, said she would like to determine the plan's long-term economic impact on the city.

""One could argue that development downtown could be adversely affected by the plan,"" she said.

Schenkel said if a bar has been a bar for a number of years, it is hard to imagine it as any other type of venue.

""Unless some huge company comes in to spend money revamping a place, it's not feasible to make it something else,"" he said. ""These places go out of business and it's just going to sit there. The ALDP is not even really accomplishing anything.""

Rick Petri, a representative from Downtown Madison Inc., said some of the reasons people come downtown include dining, drinking, entertainment, sports and art.

""That's been part of our culture for 10,000 years,"" Petri said. ""Food and drink are going to be a complement to downtown unless our culture changes.""

The final review of the ALDP will be released within the next two weeks.