University Ave. Liquor to get new ownership

University Avenue Liquor: One of Madison?s most prominent liquor stores will soon be under the new ownership of two former employees, who have decided to purchase the establishment from its former owner.

One of Madison's most prominent liquor stores will soon be under the new ownership of two former employees, who have decided to purchase the establishment from its former owner.

The Alcohol License Review Committee approved a new license for University Avenue Liquor, located at 525 University Ave. in the heart of the downtown and campus area, at its Wednesday night meeting.

Joel Kouba and Herbert Taylor, both current employees, will purchase the 2,000 square-foot business that has been at its current location for at least 10 years.

According to Kouba, who has worked there for seven years while managing it for the past three, the University Avenue liquor business itself has been prominent in the Madison area for over 25 years.

Mark Woulf, the Associated Students of Madison student representative for the ALRC, praised the establishment and its workers, especially when dealing with students.

Kouba said they regularly use ID scanners given to them by the UW at their door, especially on weekends.

However, Kouba and Taylor faced slight scrutiny over their keg delivery processes. Their current process includes having the buyer fill out a deposit slip with his or her name, license number, address and phone number. When the keg is delivered, the name on the  slip must match the name of the person accepting it.

Kouba said that during the school year, and especially during the tailgating season, they go through as many as 150 to 160 kegs per week.

According to Captain Carl Gloede of the Madison Police Department, there have been 32 instances of deposit slips not being accurate.

Kouba, however, could only think of a few problems in the seven years he has been employed there. The problems he could remember occurred during his second year of employment, and centered on the Mifflin Street Block Party and Freakfest events.

ALRC member and District 4 alder Mike Verveer said he has known the applicants for quite some time and it is a gratifying part of his job when he is able to see employees purchase their place of employment.