Potential gubernatorial candidates lay campaign groundwork for 2010 race

Prospective candidates for the 2010 gubernatorial election have begun to enter the public sphere more seriously during the past few weeks after Gov. Jim Doyle confirmed he will not seek re-election.

On the Democratic side, Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett and Dane County Executive Kathleen Falk have indicated interest in running. In an interview Sunday on ""UpFront with Mike Gousha,"" U.S. Rep. Ron Kind, D-La Crosse, said he will make a decision on whether or not he will run within the next few months.

During the interview, Kind laid the groundwork for his positions on education and health-care policy. He focused on his concern for the future of Wisconsin's competitiveness in the energy and technology sectors and discussed his position on tax reform. 

Former Congressman Mark Neumann, who first announced his candidacy in July, said he will make a formal announcement this week. According to Neumann's campaign website, he will answer questions Wednesday during a live online town hall meeting.

Lt. Gov. Barbara Lawton and Milwaukee County Executive Scott Walker have already entered the race.

According to a of poll of 800 likely voters conducted by Scott Walker's campaign on August 18 and 19, in a Democratic primary Barrett was supported by 39 percent of voters, and Lawton and Kind followed earning 25 percent and 19 percent respectively. 

—Hannah Furfaro