Library board stresses need for more community outreach for new building

20090904_NEWS_library.jpg: Madison Public Library Board member Maya Cole was hesitant about giving funding to the proposed new Central Library.

The Madison Public Library Board focused their efforts on community outreach and the new Central Library at a meeting Thursday night.

Mayor Dave Cieslewicz just recently included funds for a new Central Library in his capital budget, which he presented to the Common Council Tuesday.

According to a report issued by the Madison Public Library Board, the cost of a new library would be $37 million compared to $27 million for renovation of the existing building.

Board member Barb Dimick stressed the importance of a new Central Library, rather than making continuing repairs year after year.

""This building is falling apart, why sink a lot of money into it?"" she asked.

According to board member Allen Arntsen, funding for a new or renovated Central Library has been on their agenda for the past 10 years.

""Really over the past 40 years we have invested a tremendous amount in branches and very little in the Central Library,"" he said.

Board member Ann Falconer said she felt a new Central Library would be crucial because it supports the entire library system by reaching out to each branch.

""[The Central Library is] a repository, so to speak, of things that must be available to the users of the library, but can't be available in all of the branches,"" she said. ""We need a place to keep those kinds of materials.""

Still, a new library will not be built without its share of challenges.

Board member Maya Cole said there are two main arguments against a new Central Library. She said some alders are not supportive of the project, and said safety should be funded instead. She asked community members to instead look at the facts.

""It's black and white thinking,"" she said.

However, the board agreed to get additional information out to the public. Their plan includes posters and meetings among system libraries and encouragement for community members to contact their alders.