Historic Washburn Observatory to re-open after renovations

Washburn Observatory: The observatory will be the new home for the L&S Honors program.

The historic Washburn Observatory, new home to the College of Letters & Science Honors program, will open this month after two years of renovation. 

According to a statement, the idea behind the renovation was to repair but not replace the historic features of the building. 

Project architect Laura Davis, of Isthmus Architecture, Inc., said the major changes include increased accessibility to the first floor, restoration of stonework and accommodation for the honors program. 

Davis said her primary challenge was installing an elevator in the building. She said it was a ""major improvement"" from the limited accessibility the stairs provided. 

The observatory previously housed the Institute for Research in the Humanities. Jeff Shokler, associate director of the L&S Honors Program, said the new location for the honors program will open up additional advising opportunities. 

""Our move to Washburn Observatory will, for the first time in the program's history, allow the program to create community among students, faculty, staff and alumni through place,"" he said in a statement. 

Original construction of the Washburn Observatory began in 1878. Since then, the observatory has been used by both astronomy students and the public to view the night sky. 

""The historic buildings on campus give us a sense of time and place for the campus, so being able to use this old building in modern day can only help benefit the campus,"" Davis said. 

An open house will be held on Sept. 11 from 2-4 p.m. to commemorate the reopening of the building.