Flu sidelines football players

At least 10 members of the Wisconsin football team have come down with flu-like symptoms in the early part of the week according to team officials.

""We started having some guys get sick on Sunday, actually a few popped in Saturday. Sunday, Monday it progressed got a little worse,"" Head coach Bret Bielema said. ""Hopefully with some of the things we're doing in the training room, in addition to getting some good rest, those guys will be able to join us tomorrow.""

Bielema said the first players to get sick were younger players who live in residence halls but that several veterans had symptoms soon after. Some of the student-athletes have already recovered, and coaches hope to go into Saturday's game with a roster that is nearly fully healthy. 

The entire university has been on alert as it braces for the potential of the swine flu in the fall.

""This is something that's campus-wide, it's something that everyone's dealing with and we're nothing immune to that,"" Bielema said.

Despite the fact that Tuesday is usually the team's biggest work day, coaches were cautious, and shortened practice.

The team is planning to make some adjustments for Saturday's contest against Fresno State in light of the limited reps for the sick players.

""I know Fresno State is not going to be concerned about any type of illnesses that we have or might be potentially an issue for us,"" Bielema said.