Film Maxes out on misogyny

Tucker Max: This smile promptly undressed six adjacent females and convinced four others to buy him another drink. Tucker Max, depicted here by Matt Czuchry, just has that charm.

Film Maxes out on misogyny

Tucker Max is an asshole.  In fact, he is probably the biggest asshole to ever walk the face of the earth. He does whatever and whoever he wants whenever he wants. He enjoys getting excessively drunk, throwing insults left and right and manipulating hundreds of women into sleeping with him. That's right, hundreds. Although a man like Tucker Max might seem like a waste of human intelligence, his stories have topped the bestseller list, and he has now set out to conquer the box office.

""I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell,"" loosely based off Max's book of the same name, is hardly a motion picture masterpiece. But the movie isn't stupid and will surely cause fits of laughter throughout. Max, played by Matt Czuchry, and his friends Drew (Jesse Bradford) and Dan (Geoff Stults) take a road trip to find the mother of all strip clubs in order to celebrate Dan's last night as a bachelor. In true Tucker Max fashion, the trip includes lots of booze, boobs, hook-ups and a prison fight. Unfortunately Max's antics get him uninvited to Dan's wedding and he is forced to spend a night out alone, which ends with him in a very shitty (literally) mood. Later, Max apologizes to Dan in a surprisingly sincere way and then runs off to hit on Dan's cousin, leaving movie viewers with a smile and some laughter left in their throats.

Unfortunately, Tucker Max comes up short in achieving his goal of taking over the box office. The acting leaves a bit to be desired, but in all reality the actors chosen fit in very well with the story. The character of Drew (known as Slingblade in the book) is played exceptionally well: his degrading comments toward women are sure to encourage laughter out of even the most reserved. Czuchry fails to give Max's character the certain ""charm"" that entertains readers throughout the pages of the book, but that might be because the story in the movie isn't told in Max's first-person view as it was in the book.

Overall, ""I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell"" is not the worst film ever made. It in no way does justice to Max's recollections in his book, but for a movie about three friends taking a road trip to get drunk and go to a strip club, it's pretty good. If you would like a night filled with inappropriate humor and offensive dialogue, this movie is for you. As far as Tucker Max is concerned, writing stories about these deranged, absurd endeavors is his forte; making movies about them is not.