Experts emphasize need for continued hip-hop education

lecture series: Duke professor Mark Anthony Neal spoke at the first of a UW-Madison lecture series focusing on hip-hop education Monday in Grainger Hall.

Experts stressed the importance of hip-hop studies in a collegiate setting Monday as part of a lecture series aimed at outlining the future of hip-hop education.

According to Willie Ney, executive director of the Office of Multicultural Arts Initiative, the series is a movement to encourage the development of a hip-hop studies program at UW-Madison and  make it more relevant to a diverse group of students.

Mark Anthony Neal, professor of black popular culture at Duke University, offered a brief history of hip-hop emphasizing the need for persistent curiosity of the field.

""Hip-hop studies is about asking the questions,"" he said.

According to Neal, discussing various aspects of hip-hop leads to a range of far-reaching, yet relevant topics such as politics or sociology.

He praised the abilities of hip-hop to ""open up the imaginations of everyone.""

""[Hip-hop] is more than a culture, but a generationally specific movement that engages in politics, culture, music and history,"" Neal said.

Jeff Chang, author of ""Can't Stop Won't Stop,"" an award-winning book outlining the history of hip-hop, echoed Neal's sentiments. He focused on the potential for future agendas in hip hop studies.

According to Chang, hip-hop holds more depth than most people realize and is responsible for significant movements such as the desegregation of the U.S.

Hip-hop is comprised of ""generational ideas from around the globe that support deep social inquiry and can yield fresh insights,"" Chang said.

Both Neal and Chang agree that hip-hop studies belong in universities.

According to Neal, ""great intellectual and scholarly scrutiny"" must be placed upon hip-hop in the future.

Upcoming lectures will feature various hip-hop scholars and will be held at 7 p.m. on Mondays in Grainger Hall. The series, ""Getting Real: The Future of Hip-hop Studies Scholarship,"" is sponsored in part by OMAI, the Havens Center and The Office of the Vice Provost for Diversity and Climate.