Edgewater project deserves approval

Following last Tuesday's neighborhood meeting concerning the proposed redevelopment of the Edgewater Hotel, one thing was incredibly clear: both sides are passionate about this case. Hammes Company president Bob Dunn, the lead developer on the project, was given a rousing applause from his supporters following a booming speech. The whole presentation had an aura akin to a sales pitch from ""Mad Men,"" seeming rather hollow and soulless yet oddly inspirational at the same time––and surely the fact that the presentation was flanked by Bethel Lutheran Church's giant stained glass rendering of Jesus was not lost on Dunn. 

But the opposition crowd made their voices heard as well. Opponent Ledell Zellers offered a terse response to many of Dunn's claims, making clear her opinion that the Hammes Company doesn't have the neighborhood's best interests at heart. Later, Fred Mohs gave his counter to Dunn's argument, explaining how this new project violated a deal made with the original Edgewater developers decades ago. And while he wasn't nearly as rousing a speaker, he at least avoided coming across as a corporate hack in an expensive suit, something Dunn was unable to do, and received a reception on par with the Hammes representatives. One could also hear audible gasps of horror each time someone revealed a spec drawing of the lakefront or Wisconsin Avenue with a rendering of the newly refurbished hotel and its 17-story tower, generally from the same people who applauded Mohs but sat rigidly still as Dunn presided over the crowd. 

But absent from much of the argument was the grand issue that drives any development: money. Zellers isn't far off the mark when she claims that Hammes isn't particularly interested in the historic nature of the Mansion Hill neighborhood. Hammes is a business with no real ties to the community––of course profit is the number one priority, the neighborhood a very distant second. Dunn briefly spoke about the jobs the project would create in construction and permanent hotel employment, but generally focused on the hotel's aesthetic value. Opponents spent more time on funding issues, including the $16.8 million in tax incremental financing Hammes is requesting, possible negative effects on the development of future hotels closer to Monona Terrace and the lack of nearby businesses the Edgewater can drive customers to. We believe Hammes should have touted the money as an advantage. 

Though economic impact was not meant to be the focus of the meeting, it is the most important issue at hand. The project still needs to get the Landmarks Commission's approval, but considering the fairly subjective standards set up for the commission, these guidelines could easily be worked around if Madison perceives the monetary benefits to be worthwhile. And considering the $107 million Hammes plans to spend on the hotel, the 1000 temporary construction jobs it will create and the 500 permanent hotel jobs it will provide, we believe the monetary benefits are more than worth bending on some building regulations. 

The Edgewater will need to be exempt from at least some Landmarks Commission requirements in order to get approval. For one, the volume of the structure clearly does not mesh with the Mansion Hill neighborhood. To accommodate this, some laws will probably need to be rewritten, particularly laws regarding height restrictions. But in doing so, the city will be gaining hundreds of jobs in the middle of a recession, and a large tax base for the future. 

As a bonus, the design of the Edgewater is actually quite stunning. It may not completely gel with the neighborhood, but it is a beautifully designed building that replaces the bland 1970s addition to the hotel while preserving the classic art moderne architecture of the original structure. In addition, the new project preserves both views of Lake Mendota from Wisconsin Avenue and the Capitol from the lake, all the while providing a counterpart attraction to Monona Terrace on the other side of the isthmus. And that $16.8 million in TIF money would go to good use, as Hammes has promised to keep the lakefront open to the public 24/7, now with a much-improved terrace and improved access to the water's edge, particularly for handicapped persons. 

Hammes has hardly been an angel throughout this process. Their early lobbying efforts were shady at best and received a deserved rebuke from the city attorney. But now that more of the plans are out in the open, it is hard to deny that the project itself is impressive. Think of the Edgewater as a new 42"" plasma TV. It may not fit in perfectly in the living room, but one would be foolhardy to turn it down when offered. Madison should not turn down such a valuable new opportunity.