Edgewater faces more hurdles with new design
(c

The proposed renovation of the Edgewater Hotel, located at 666 Wisconsin Ave., may face many hurdles to gain approval. 

The Urban Design Commission faced a host of questions late Wednesday night, presented by those in opposition to the proposed renovation and new construction to the aging hotel.  

Opponents of the plan are concerned about zoning and height restrictions, increased traffic, obstruction of views from Lake Mendota and the Capitol and general devaluation of Madison's Mansion Hill district.  

Despite proposed solutions offered by the project's lead architects, the plans were still met with skepticism by commission members.  

The design team, led by Elkus Manfredi Architects, pitched their plan as a work in progress and focused the presentation on their efforts to preserve and respect the historic neighborhood in which the Edgewater resides. The original 1940s tower would be restored, with efforts made to increase the size of the hotel rooms and bring the maintenance machinery up to code.  

The proposed addition, a 199-foot combined tower and penthouse, would sit far enough to the east that the view along Wisconsin Avenue could remain as is. The new tower would mimic the design of the original, but on a larger scale, according to supporters. 

A street-level plaza and terrace are also featured in the design, with a grand staircase connecting everything to the lake. In addition, the structure's plan includes various steps toward making the building a sustainable development.  

Energy-saving construction techniques, such as a ""green"" roof, urban gardens and an improved sediment filtration system for stormwater drainage are among the ideas proposed for the Edgewater. 

Still, the big concern remained the height of the building, with many saying it would set a precedent for the area and lead to further constructions of that magnitude. It was also suggested that such a large-scale construction would flatten the natural topography of Mansion Hill and restrict pedestrian access to Langdon Street. 

However, some community members present said the Edgewater is currently tired-looking and that the proposed addition is a chance to restore its former status.