Campus organizations unite to remember 9/11 victims

In honor of those who died in the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, the College Democrats and the College Republicans are collaborating to hold a memorial ceremony on Bascom Hill Friday.

Both the College Democrats and the College Republicans feel their annual ceremony represents the country's need to unite after such a tragic event.

""The event just shows there are some things that go beyond politics and even students that are actively involved in their separate political parties can work together,"" Molly Rivera, chair of the College Democrats, said.

According to Crystal Lee, chair of the College Republicans, terrorism and the war on terror are issues that affect both parties.

""Attacks made on the United States' soil represent attacks on the U.S. itself,"" Lee said. ""We need to band together and remember the innocent lives lost because of these tragic attacks.""

Students will be able to view flags scattered on Bascom Hill representing the lives lost in the Sept. 11 attacks before the actual ceremony.

The ceremony will begin at 7:30 p.m. with a short introductory speech from the chairs of the College Democrats and College Republicans, which will be followed by a spoken prayer, the national anthem, a moment of silence and a candle-lighting ceremony.

""It was such a significant day ... Most people can remember the place they were when the event occurred,"" Stephen Duerst, public relations chair of the College Republicans, said. ""We are hoping that most students will just pause and reflect on the freedoms that we have and perhaps sometimes take for granted.""

UW-Madison is one of the only universities where the College Democrats and College Republicans collaborate for the remembrance event, which is part of a national campaign called ""9/11: The Never Forget Project.""