Men's basketball sets nonconference schedule

The Wisconsin men's basketball program announced its complete nonconference schedule this week, which includes home dates against Duke and Marquette and participation in the Maui Invitational. 

Wisconsin's toughest test outside its conference will most likely be in the Big Ten-ACC Challenge against Duke, a game that had been previously announced. Wisconsin is 4-6 in the Big Ten-ACC Challenge and 2-1 at home. The Blue Devils have never lost in the event. 

The Badgers will continue their in-state rivalries with Marquette, UW-Milwaukee and UW-Green Bay this season. Last season Wisconsin fell to the Golden Eagles but defeated the Panthers and the Phoenix. 

Wisconsin's contest against Marquette will be on Dec. 12, and its game against UW-Milwaukee will be on Dec. 23 at home. The Badgers lead the all-time series against the Golden Eagles, 62-53, but have lost their last two meetings. Wisconsin is 25-1 all-time against the Panthers. 

The Badgers will travel to Green Bay this season for the first time since 2002, with the game set for Dec. 9. This contest will be the Badgers' only nonconference game on the road. Wisconsin has not lost to the Phoenix in 15 meetings. 

Excluding their contests with Duke and Marquette, the Badgers' greatest challenge in their nonconference slate will come at the Maui Invitational, which begins Nov. 23.  

Pairings for the tournament have not yet been determined, but the field consists of Arizona, Chaminade, Cincinnati, Colorado, Gonzaga, Maryland and Vanderbilt. The Wildcats, Terrapins and Bulldogs all qualified for the NCAA Tournament last season. 

The Badgers last participated in the Maui Invitational in 1995. Their last trip to Hawaii came in 2001, when the Badgers played in the Big Island Invitational. 

Wisconsin's first game of the 2009-'10 season will be against Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne on Nov. 15. Its next game will be Nov. 18 against Oakland. 

Other nonconference games for Wisconsin's upcoming season include home contests against Grambling State, Cal Poly and Illinois-Chicago. The Badgers will also host preseason games against Bemidji State and UW-Superior.