Students show concern over Mifflin sponsorship
(c

Although Madison officials believe a sponsorship will contribute to the success of the Mifflin Street Block Party Saturday, some Mifflin Street residents expressed their fears about new regulations at a meeting Thursday night held by Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4. 

""Once [the city has] control, eventually they'll start gating off the street and charging. I really just don't want to see that happen,"" UW-Madison student Brian Geick said. 

Verveer emphasized that Mifflin is not Freakfest and there will be no gates and no admission fees.  

The sponsorship between WSUM and DCNY PRO will provide the event with disc jockeys from 12 to 7 p.m., food vendors and more restrooms. Food vendors will include Insomnia Cookies, Papa John's Pizza and D.P. Dough.  

However, many Mifflin residents were concerned about parties potentially getting out of hand. 

""I have no idea how to enforce random people [coming to my house],"" UW-Madison student Neil Kleman said.  

To combat this common issue, the Madison Police Department will have officers on duty throughout the day.  

""If houses become uncontrollable, the MPD will shut your party down for you. It's a free pass,"" MPD Sgt. Tony Fiore said.  

Residents can also call a nonemergency number to have unwanted guests removed. Fiore said the police would rather ""educate than enforce.""  

Madison Fire Department Division Chief Ronald Schwenn encouraged partygoers to have fun, but urged students to go home safe at the end of the day.  

Schwenn's biggest concern, however, was overcrowding. He said overcrowded porches could easily collapse, especially those that are not structurally sound. 

The fire department will have inspectors on duty to monitor potential hazards such as grills, balconies, open flames and overcrowding.  

City officials also stressed the importance of the three main block party rules: no public urination, no glass bottles and no open containers from sidewalk to sidewalk.  

According to Verveer, arrests will follow different procedures than in years past. There will be on-site processing units for arrested persons, and police urge residents to be as cooperative as possible.  

""If you cooperate, it will pay dividends,"" Verveer said.