Seniors reflect on times of struggle, victory

When the Wisconsin softball team hosts the No. 12 Northwestern Wildcats this weekend, five Badgers will sport the cardinal and white one last time.

Leah Vanevenhoven, Theresa Boruta, Alexis Garcia, Valyncia Raphael and Nichole Whaley comprise this year's softball senior class. The quintet of Badgers have experienced great victories and persevered through tough times.

Vanevenhoven, Boruta and Raphael came to Wisconsin as true freshmen in the fall of 2005, the same year that Chandelle Schulte took over as head coach of the team. Garcia, who arrived at UW in 2004, sat out her freshman year as a red-shirt, and Whaley transferred to Wisconsin for the 2008 season from Mt. San Antonio Junior College in Walnut, Calif.

Over the past four years, hurler Leah Vanevenhoven has accomplished a record of 17-46 in the circle. Her record shows the struggles that the Badgers have faced during her career. What her record does not show is her evolution as a pitcher from the beginning of her career to the present. Schulte tested Vanevenhoven as a closer early on, and soon realized that she better served the team as a starter.

""Coming in, the adjustment was really hard for me,"" Vanevenhoven said. ""I'm really proud of the adversities I've faced and been able to get through.""

""From the first pitch she's thrown here to the last pitch she'll throw this weekend, she has grown tremendously as a pitcher,"" said Boruta, who caught for Vanevenhoven during part of this season.

Vanevenhoven looks fondly on the experiences she shared with her teammates.

""The relationships are just some of the greatest things about the team,"" she said.

Over the course of her career, Theresa Boruta defined the role of utility player, filling seven different positions for the team. This season, she started behind the plate as catcher, but was moved to third base to fill a defensive void.

""Theresa is a consummate utility player. She really does everything well,"" Schulte said.

""It seemed like every time I turned around there was a new responsibility,"" Boruta said. ""But that was fine with me. Whatever was needed for the team.""

Boruta and Vanevenhoven became good friends during their time at Wisconsin.

""She's the sister I never had, and I'm the brother she never had,"" Vanevenhoven said of Boruta. ""She's a great person to have on the field behind you.""

The loss of Alexis Garcia leaves a definite void at first base for the Badgers. Garcia has fought through injury during her career at Wisconsin to rise as a defensive force. When Schulte moved Boruta to third base earlier this season, the Badgers' defense at the corners became one of the team's high points.

""Alexis is probably one of the best defensive first basemen that we have in the Big Ten,"" Schulte said. ""She's rock solid.""

Schulte had Valyncia Raphael playing shortstop at the beginning of her career. But the coach soon recognized Raphael's true strengths and moved her to left field. The move paid off, as Raphael blossomed in the outfield.

Like Garcia and Whaley, Raphael came to Wisconsin from California. Going to school that far away from home forced her to grow as a person.

""More than anything, I'm able to step outside my comfort zone,"" she said.

Nichole Whaley came to Wisconsin with big shoes to fill at the catcher position, taking over for former Badger Joey Daniels behind the plate. This year, Whaley has evolved into a source of moral support for the team, guiding many of the team's younger players along the way.

Many of the seniors reflect fondly on the team's trip to Hawaii in mid-March of this year for the Chevron Spring Fling tournament as a highlight of their season.

""What better place than Hawaii to get together and be out in the sun and be playing softball?"" Whaley said.

From 2006 to 2009, Wisconsin softball has compiled a record of 79-120, with two games remaining in the 2009 season. The 2007 campaign was the Badgers' only winning season during that span, when Big Red posted a record of 27-20. Despite winning only 40 percent of their games over the past four years, the players bonded together and supported one another.

""As a team, we really do come together and we don't let it affect us,"" Vanevenhoven said.

After dropping a pair of games to the Iowa Hawkeyes in Iowa City on Wednesday, Wisconsin (3-15 Big Ten, 15-38 overall) will now return home for their season finale against Northwestern (12-6, 29-13). Game one is on Friday at 6 p.m. at the Goodman Softball Complex, with game two slated for Saturday at 6 p.m.