Concern for swine flu is worth the squealing

Influenza. When you normally think about this illness, you picture an annoying sore throat accompanied by a mild fever and head congestion. The current variant of this infection, swine flu, has been receiving considerable attention, now considered nearly a pandemic. The responses to swine flu range from humor to concern with some Mifflin-goers donning masks in the midst of resonating caution as the illness continues to spread across the world. 

Humans have suffered from influenza for millennia, with Hippocrates first documenting the infection more than 2,400 years ago. In any given year, nearly a billion cases of flu lead to 500,000 deaths. The virus is not only one of the first viruses isolated (1931) but is also one of the most heavily researched. The CDC stated that a flu pandemic in the United States could cause an overall economic loss of $71 to $165 billion. With increased globalization (as demonstrated by the domino effect of the financial crisis), the impact on a global scale could be catastrophic to both human life and economic stability. The shutdown of Mexico City left the local economic activity at a standstill. This has lead to lower pork prices for all exports from North America. 

Influenza is an RNA virus that is transferred by bodily fluids (such as saliva and mucous) coming into either direct or indirect contact with soft tissue (such as the eyes or the nose). Like other viruses, influenza cannot be treated with antibiotics because antibiotics only treat bacterial infections. One must rely on his or her own immune system to repel and ultimately build up antibodies against the infection to ensure limited symptoms upon subsequent infection. 

Viruses, while not formally considered living organisms, require one for reproduction. Because of this, the treatment of viral infections is extremely difficult; only a limited number of antivirals exist and these are highly regulated. 

Now you might ask, ""Why should I be more concerned about the swine flu than a normal influenza?"" Well, for one, this strain of influenza has a greater infection potential than typical influenza strains. This could be due to our lack of a natural immunity to this new strain because we have not been exposed to it. Despite there being many strains of influenza, each is typically species-specific, meaning there is limited zoonotic transmission (infection from one species to another ,such as pigs to humans). However, the swine flu is an exotic variant of influenza, consisting of components from birds, pigs and humans. 

Many nations have taken considerable procautions, as well as the World Health Organization (WHO), to contain the extent of the infection and limit the loss of life. This includes raising the Pandemic Alert to 5 (out of 6), signifying widespread human infection by other humans. Even local governments have gone so far as to close schools, businesses and other public gathering places. Because so little is known about the virus, it is necessary to take these extreme measures to prevent the spread of the infection.  

In the end, it is better to be safe than sorry. Viruses have a high potential for mutations, particularly RNA viruses, and while these mutations can be equally beneficial or detrimental to the virus, the beneficial mutations are almost always naturally selected. These can confer additional pathogenic properties and harmful symptoms, allowing for secondary infections by opportunistic pathogens. With each generation of viral passage to a new host, additional traits can accumulate. Therefore, it is in the best interest of all to ensure that spreading of the virus is limited and ultimately stopped before the virus has the opportunity to mutate further and become even deadlier. 

Sean McMaster is a junior majoring in biochemistry and mathematics. Please send responses to opinion@dailycardinal.com.