City and campus resources essential to safety of students

It's no secret: UW-Madison attracts such a broad and diverse array of collegiate students for its promising educational opportunities, incredible international achievements, indelible sports legacy and a perfect city to spend four or five years. However, the same fair city that attracts thousands of college applicants every year is attracting other, less appealing aspects—namely growing crime and safety concerns.  

One only has to look in the past few headlines in the local papers: ""Man beaten, robbed on Langdon Street,"" ""Data shows increase in Madison violent crime,"" or ""Bar fight leads to brutal attack."" Madison, usually considered one of the top cities in the U.S. for quality of living, has a growing problem that every college student must acknowledge. 

Violent crime in Madison is on the rise. The number of crimes considered ""violent"" (murder, rape, aggravated assault and robbery) rose six percent from 2007 to 2008, due in large part to assaults and robberies. As the recession deepens, everywhere in the U.S. can count on these figures to inevitably rise. 

But where does this leave Madison? The Madison Police Department and UW-Madison officials stress the same things: Don't travel alone, utilize the SAFEride resources available and avoid high-crime, poorly lit areas. Although these messages are pounded into UW-Madison students' heads in the aftermath of every violent attack or robbery, the same carelessness leads others into becoming victims. Students must be smart in trying times, but city officials and the MPD can do more to try to curb some of the more problematic issues in the city. 

Newly-elected District 8 Ald. Bryon Eagon has laid out extensive ideas and frameworks to tackle growing safety concerns, and certain plans need to be sent to the forefront during his first year as alder.  

The weekend taxi-cab stand service is one safety initiative on Eagon's slate, providing accessible safe transportation for late night travelers to avoid walking home (many of whom may also be intoxicated, thus leaving them more susceptible to being robbed). Unfortunately, the taxi-cab stand requires an operator to monitor the queue, and the city and businesses have yet to step up to the plate. As Eagon notes, a collaborative effort between local business sponsorships and the city itself would be a wise investment, and relatively cheap.  

One dire safety issue that neither Eagon nor the city seems to touch is the rash of downtown conflicts occurring inside or nearby local restaurants and bars late at night. Violent attacks like those outside The Plaza, Crave Restaurant & Lounge and Madison Avenue are becoming more and more the norm in Madison. On Tuesday, Madison's Alcohol License Review Committee decided not to rescind alcohol licenses from Madison Avenue and Johnny O's despite numerous complaints of underage alcohol consumption and violence. One such incident in Madison Avenue required 17 officers to break up, resulting in underage drinking arrests and citations for concealed weapons. Instead of sending a message to other area businesses and removing the establishments' liquor licenses, the Madison ALRC balked and simply gave them restrictions on maximum capacity and required increased security presence.  

To curb late-night violence, the city and the ALRC must impose greater consequences on local establishments, and the MPD must also make its presence felt around area bars. Bar raids aren't necessarily key to curbing alcoholism, but if it leads to fewer intoxicated students walking around at night and a greater chance of curbing violence and fights outside of Madison businesses, then why not? If anything, the MPD should make police walkthroughs a priority or enforce stricter security requirements on all Madison bars and restaurants. And the ALRC can't simply play mother—if bars cannot curb violence in their establishments, don't give warnings. Take licenses away. 

If anything, Eagon's most simple safety idea may also be his best: Bring every figure or group involved in Madison safety concerns together as one group. A collaborative safety organization (dubbed by Eagon) would bring together entities like ASM's campus safety position, the UW Greek community, UW-Madison's SAFE programs, the MPD and anyone else who addresses Madison safety in some way. A collaborative forum, even once a month, could strengthen safety efforts and streamline newer programs to keep Madison safe. 

Although you've heard many times before, the same is still true: Each person can greatly reduce their chances of being an assault or robbery victim by staying out of dangerous situations. Know the SAFEride program services and utilize the buses, taxis and walkers whenever possible. Don't walk home alone or in unlit areas. However, there is one crucial mistake almost every student makes: They don't demand their representatives make the changes necessary. Let Eagon and the rest of the Madison Common Council know that safety, even in hard economic times, is an investment worth making.  

Jon Spike is a senior majoring in English education. Please send responses to opinion@dailycardinal.com